1/25/10

Tuesday Morning

Last night we played pool and darts and from the look of his play I am sure John has never played either:) He does respong to "John" since that is all we call him. He came along nicely in pool. I was showing him- you know I am an expert:)NOT- how to hold your back arm and just let it hang and move the bottom part very smoothly back and forth and so was holding his shoulder- he is thick and very firm.

Mary and I had a debate yesterday in the car as to how tall he is in cm's. I had to do the conversion and then we were both simply guessing his height- she is bringing a tape measure this am. My guess is that he is 4'10". Do I know someone who is 4'10"? He is about 8" shorter than T.

Today we are going to the Great Wall- he has been there before, so it's new for us and not for him. T went and got food last night and brought it to the room- Chinese take out. It is so cheap. She got me Kung Poa chicken and it was HOT! John thought it was fine, and I like a little spice, but there was a lot of red peppers hidden and they were eating me up- it was very good though.

We went to TJ yesterday and did our paperwork and were back by a little after 11. Apparently we are not going back to TJ, Mary will go and pick up the passport on Friday so we don't have to go. Now we are flying to GD on Sat. so we get there at a normal time rather than late at night.

OK- not following blogging etiquette here; John- No problem using the bass- that's what it's for. Did he use the 4 or the 5 string? It is a little weird using the 5 when you're not used to it. Welcome back Chris and Zoom!! What does He have planned for you now? Hard to be in the middle of, but fun to watch Him work.

The bass player at the International church was actually a bass player- he was really good. We are not in any trial here other than I always want to be doing something and healthy enough to go out and do it and my shoulder is slowing me down and we are bored. There is not much spiritual growth taking place with wimpy "trials" like that. Thanks for your prayers though.

We did read to John and have him read back to us, in the Bible story book. He is a little, either lazy or reluctant to jump in. I am not sure if it is the Bible story part that he doesn't like or the fact that we are making him read to us and he doesn't like it, but since I am bigger I win:) He must be able to work through his dislikes and discomforts because even though life in America is going to be an amazing opportunity for him, it is still just an opportunity- which means he must take it and run with it. Please pray that God would be working in his heart, even through children's Bible stories- it is His Word and His Word does not return empty- that is so encouraging.

The SR is under way- pray that even now God would be pounding some hearts. I guess this is a trial, in that we so much want to be there with, not only our kids, but our extended family of kids and adults- but by all His working we are convinced that this is where God would have us to be right now and so we are resting in His plan. I think we will also miss Garrett's last BB game, and that is sad. We, T and I and Garrett, certainly knew that if God allowed this to take place that we would probably miss a good batch of his games and he was so unselfish in telling us that we must do this if God allowed. God is so gracious to have given us 3 great kids- in spite of not very good parenting.

We, more me than T, missed so many opportunities to really impact the lives of our kids and yet He still worked to bring them not only to Himself but to make them passionate about His work. This is proof that it is only God can bring about change in hearts. Hug my kids when you see them.

One last more emotional thing. Until you have been there, you really have no idea how lonely it is, spiritually, when you are away from your home church. GBC is not perfect, and when I am there it is less perfect, but that is our family and I really miss worshipping with our family. I hope this encourages you to be there when you are able and celebrate God's goodness in placing each and every one of us there for a specific and unique purpose. I want to be and do what God has for me to do there, even if it is just going to China for a few weeks and posting back what is happening. If that encourages some towards higher affections, then God is good to work through a boring, old, beat up clay pot. I shake my head in wonder at why He would use someone like me to do His work- but I am thankful He does.

Thanks again for your encouragement and prayers. Our God is awesome!!!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Chuck, We borrowed the 5-string and Chris did a really good job. I'll keep it in my office 'til you return and probably use it the next couple of Sundays. Thanks again and the photos look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck, I know well how you are feeling missing your church family. I cried a lot during our trip because of how much I missed it. We were there over Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete