1/25/10

Great Wall

We went to the Great Wall today and the weather could not have been nicer. From the parking lot it looks like it is just up the hill- Mary said she would stay with the driver. After a little hiking I realized why she stayed in the parking lot.

The date of the wall ranges from just around 200bc to about 1500ad. There have been major rebuilding going on along the way and for sure many people lost their lives to its building. Mary said it is about 5000 miles total- I have not confirmed that number, but it is big.

I will say with AB that I did not bring my climbing belly today. Man that thing is steep and it just keeps on going. I was tired after about 3 look out towers and there were about 8 we went through. Going up is much harder than going down, but my legs were totally shaking when we finally got back to the van. The steps are all different elevations so going up is challenging, but coming down is tricky because you really have to look at each step as you walk. John- with his 14 year old legs and lungs- acted like it was nothing; oh to be young again.

We did meet some people on the wall who are from the Tri-Cities and I had on my "Sterlings Restaurant" shirt from the there; small world. They have just adopted their 3rd child to add to their 6 bio's. That was kind of fun.

Here are some pics from the Wall- It's amazing that we were here and it was such a beautiful day. Enjoy and I'll add comments where it is necessary.











1 comment: