8/7/09

Take a number at the DOL

In the Home Study process, at least 3 visits with the social worker, I was told I need to get a back ground check from all the places I have lived since I was 18. That is a much larger number for me than it is for Teresa.

So I followed the web site guidelines and went to send in my driver's license. I realized that my address has to be the same on the front of license as my actual address. Since I have not renewed my license since we have moved, it is not the same. So, off to the DOL.

It did take an hour and a half to get my temporary, and I am hoping that the temporary suffice, we will see. But I tried to make the best use of my time while I was just waiting and so I talked to some others in line about Grant's event, which is always a good opener into the reality of how good God is. It is always interesting how people respond. Some are totally tracking and in tears and others are apathetic at best. It doesn't really matter to me that much how they respond to God's story in our life because He is the One doing the work and I just want to be faithful to tell of His goodness. I don't have any responsibility for their response, only for my faithfulness to tell. Like the Gospel; it's all God's calling and work.

While waiting I saw a little store,"Africa Mama", connected to the DOL building. Of course that sparked my interest, so in between making sure they didn't pass over my number and visiting with others waiting I checked it out. There were some fun things in the shop, but what I came away with was a visit with the owner who is from Kenya. She has lived in America for a long time but is trying to go back, to stay, by the end of this year. She is working on an orphan project while here and wants to go back to help in whatever way she can there.

We justed talked about the crazy abundance we have here, even in our "down economy", and how the girls in her orphange will never have as much as she does right now. I said, "We are spoiled rotten in America" and she said that we should remind ourselves of that everyday, since it is so true.

We had a nice chat and exchanged websites/blog addresses and I left with my temprary license. I am so encouraged by what God is doing in my life as I just am faithful to share His goodness with others. I don't say this to in anyway elevate myself, but rather to encourage you also to find a common point of interest with others and just share how good God is in your life. People are hurting, searching for answers, and you sharing just a little bit with them might be just the thing they need to either ask you more questions or get them thinking down the road. We never know what God will do when we are faithful to share, but He won't do anything through you if you aren't willing to step out.

Often, I am at least as encouraged as others are when I have shared, just because they share their struggles and I know how faithful God is to work. God is so good and we really need to both remind ourselves and encourage others with His goodness. I hope you are encouarged.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! God is doing the work! May we be willing to be molded and used for His glory! When we obey and respond in faith, He blesses abundantly in ways we often do not expect. Thanks again for sharing your life experiences and for being an example to many. SJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to talk with you yesterday! The shower info is as follows: Saturday, August 29th - 1:00pm at Lighthouse Christian Center - 10711 80th Ave. E Puyallup 98373 (note: when following the google map directions, the street sign for 80th now reads 23rd!) We are asking for gift cards as our biggest need right now is clothing. Please, no toys. Also, we'll be collecting donations to purchase diapers and formula to take to the orphanage when we go. Call if you have any other questions. Hope you can make it. We'd love to see you again!

    ReplyDelete