2/13/10

The Father and His children

For obvious reasons it is hard for me to determine which blog to post this under, but for one of those obvious reasons I chose to put it on this one.

Behold, what kind of love the Father has given to us that we should be called the sons of God. This is why the world does not know us. It is because it does not know God, and we are His sons.
--I John 3:1-2

"We know that we were born into sin, and even now we feel the inner corruption that remains with us. It is no wonder, then, that we amazed by our adoption as sons into God s family. But the Scripture says that we are called "the sons of God." What a high relationship is that of a son, and what privileges it brings! What care and tenderness the son expects from his father, and what love the father feels towards the son! But all that-- and even more than that-- we now have through Christ.

It is easy to say that "we are now the sons of God," but it is not so easy to feel. How is it with your heart today? Are you in the lowest depths of sorrow? Does corruption rise within your spirit and grace seem like a poor spark trampled under foot? Does your faith almost fail you? Don't be afraid! It is not your graces or your feelings on which you are to live; you must live simply by faith in Christ. With all these things against us, it is now--in the very depths of our sorrow, wherever we may be-- now, as much in the valley as on the mountain "now are we the sons of God."

"Ah, but," you say, "look at me! My graces do not shine brightly; my righteousness does not shine with great glory." But read the next part: "It does not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that when He appears we will be like Him." The Holy Spirit will purify our minds, and divine power will refine our bodies. Then, we will see Him as He is."
Morning & Evening, by Charles H. Spurgeon
Revised and edited by William C. Neff, ©2003-2009

This single M&E could be the springboard of a very long post, or numerous posts, but I will try to keep it short.

I am not sure that John yet feels like he is a son, nor do I think he even knows the blessing, privilege and responsibility that comes from being a son. He is starting to understand what it means to be a brother, which is fun to watch. With that said I am not sure that I have fully accepted him as much as I do my bio's- which I think will take time- we have much to work on. Unlike our heavenly Father my love is not unconditional and it takes me a while to get in the groove, but it will come. It actually took me a while with Grant and Garrett as well, but it didn't take but a minute with Kimmy- something about a little girl and her daddy.

With each of our bio's it was different and it will be different with John as well. This is a great excerpt from morning and evening and if you are able you should read that section of this post again and think about all the ramifications it has for you today.

May we know the Father's love for us as His very blessed children.

No comments:

Post a Comment